Westfield, Mountainside, Scotch Plains, Fanwood, Union County, New Jersey
Current Past Wks Search Help Minder Press Kit Subscribe
Reload your browser to view the latest update


- Home Page

- E-Town's Web Site

- Beware of Scams

- E-Town Release
7:30AM Sep 21

- E-Town Release
5:30PM Sep 19

- E-Town Release
10:50AM Sep 19

- E-Town Release
6:50PM Sep 18

- The Lighter Side

- How To Conserve

- Elizabethtown Q & A

- Photo's Damaged Plant

- More Photos of Storm

- TV-36 Articles

- Floyd Articles


Disaster Scams

In the aftermath of a disaster, there are those who will prey upon consumers using marketing scams, deceptive door-to-door sales, home improvement scams and misleading solicitations for non-existent charities. While it is impossible to list all scams that might develop, some are:
   - Telephone sales of "Disaster Relief Kits.
   - Fictitious fund-raising for disaster victims.
   - Prize promotion schemes where funds supposedly go to victims.
   - People falsely claiming they can help process disaster relief for a fee.
   - Advance fee loans for those in need of money to begin home repairs.
   - The traditional door-to-door home repair scams.
   - Phoney inspectors actually selling unnecessary items like home water treatment systems.


As flood waters recede, you may discover that your flood-damaged home or business needs extensive repairs. Unfortunately, fraudulent home repair companies may flock to your area. As you rush to make your home or office inhabitable again, use good judgement. Protect yourself from dishonest home repair contractors by calling our Consumer Affairs Hotline at 1-800-242-5846 to see if the contractor you are considering has any complaints against his or her business. Also:
   1. Beware of home improvement contractors who say they are licensed-there is no such license in New Jersey. However, home repair contractors offering financing for home repair work must be licensed by the New Jersey Department of Banking and Insurance: 609-292-5360.

   2. If you let someone inspect your home, go with them and make sure you get a second opinion from a reputable source before you sign a contract to have the work done. Ask for identification. Representatives of utilities and reputable businesses will have proper identification. When in doubt, look up the company's number in the phone book and call to verify the identity of the worker.
   3. If a contractor requests advance payments or large cash deposits, don't provide them unless you have checked out the contractor's credentials and have a written contract with a description of the work to be performed, the total cost, and guarantees on labor and materials.
   4. Do not accept verbal agreements. Get a copy of the contract before paying and a receipt afterward. Common complaints involve payment for repairs and work that never gets started or completed.
   5. Avoid transient repair contractors. If you hire a contractor make sure you get names, addresses, phone numbers, license plate numbers and vehicle descriptions. If a problem does occur, this information will help law enforcement locate the contractor.
   6.When you pay your contractor ask for a lien waiver. A lien waiver is a receipt that states that the workers and material suppliers will not ask you for money once you have paid the contractor. Beware of any request by a contractor to have you sign a statement that says that you will cover the costs of materials and labor if the contractor does not pay.
   7.All permits must be obtained by the contractor, not the homeowner. However, the contractor will charge you for the price of the permit.
   8. If hiring a plumber or electrician, make sure he or she is licensed. Ask to see their license identification card.
Remember, if an offer is good "now or never," you can et it will never be good.

Auto Repair

Under the best-of circumstances, automobile repair complaints top Consumer Affairs' list of complaints. Each year thousands of complaints are logged. The majority involve overcharging, poor workmanship and deceptive practices.
As you start looking for a repair shop to repair your water-damaged car, you need to remember to thoroughly check out repair shops.
   1. Ask friends and neighbors if they know a reliable mechanic.
   2. Check to see if the shop is accredited by the Motorist Assurance Program (MAP). MAP is an industry-sponsored organization that has established Uniform Inspection Guidelines for inspecting vehicles and recommending repairs.
   3. Get a cost estimate in writing and instruct the mechanic to call for authorization before making repairs not listed on the original repair order.
   4. If you believe the mechanic has recommended unnecessary work or you are dissatisfied with the estimate, get a second estimate.
   5. If the work is guaranteed, get all the warranty information in writing on the repair order or bill.

Charitable Solicitations

While there are numerous legitimate organizations providing relief to flood victims, history has shown that con artists move in to collect funds for non-existent charities and then pocket the money and run. How can you protect yourself?
   1. By law, all charities soliciting money in New Jersey must be registered with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs' Charitable Registration Unit. Call our Charities Hotline at 973-504-6215 to make sure the charity soliciting you is legitimate.
   2. Don't give cash. Write a check and make it out to the charity.
   3. Don't give your credit card number to strangers over the phone.
   4. Legitimate charities will give you time to decide whether and how much to donate.

Price Gouging

When a disaster occurs there may be temporary shortages of essentials. When those circumstances arise, some individuals may attempt to charge exorbitant prices for such goods. If you feel you are paying excessive prices for goods or services you may file a complaint with the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs.

How to File a Complaint

To file a complaint about auto repair, home repair or price gouging contact the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs at 1-800-242-5846.
To file a complaint against an electrician, call the Board of Electrical Contractors at 973-504-6410.
To file a complaint against a plumber, call the Board of Master Plumbers at 973-504-6420.

Remember... "Take advantage of us, so no one takes advantage of you."

NJ Deparment of Law & Public Safety
State Offices of Consumer Protection (973) 504-6200

The Westfield Leader - POBox 250, 50 Elm St., Westfield, NJ 07091, 908 232-4407; fax 908 232-0473
The Times - PO Box 368, 1906 Bartle Ave, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076, 908 322-4155

Enter your e-mail address here. You will be notified of the On-line updates.

Copyright 1999 www.goleader.com - press@goleader.com - Revised: September 20, 1999.