Page 22 Our Towns Our Towns Our Towns Our Towns Our Towns Our 2nd Annual Edition Thursday, October 28, 1999
CYAN YELLOW MAGENTA BLACK
Fanwood Government At a Glance
Maryanne S. Connelly
William E. Populus, Jr., Council President Louis C. Jung Stuart S. Kline Katherine Mitchell Karen M. Schurtz
MUNICIPAL DEPARTMENT HEADS Eleanor McGovern Donald Sherman Dennis Estis
Administrator/ Borough Clerk Tax Assessor Borough Attorney
Bruce Helmstetter Colleen Huehn Maryanne Corcoran
Building Inspector Tax Collector Court Administrator
Bruce Helmstetter Robert Carboy Eleanor McGovern
Construction Official Emergency Management Public Agent
Richard Marsden Barbara A. Brennan John Piccola
Engineer Treasurer/ CFO Fire Chief
Eugene Bellamy Thomas Scalera Daniel Weiss
Deputy Fire Chief Fire Official Library Director
Susan M. MacMullen Robert Carboy Michael J. Mitzner
Municipal Court Judge Police Chief Prosecutor
John DeMassi Raymond Manfra Kevin Ewing
Public Defender Public Works Director Recreation Director
Raymond Manfra John Oatis Dr. Carol B. Choye
Recycling Coordinator Rescue Squad President School Superintendent
Maria Santo Nancy Koederitz
Welfare Director Zoning Officer
BOROUGH REPRESENTATIVES... Mayor Maryanne S. Connelly, center, is surrounded by fellow members of Fanwood’s governing body. Pictured, left to right, are: Councilwoman Karen M. Schurtz, Councilwoman Katherine Mitchell, Councilman Stuart S. Kline, Councilman Joel Whitaker, Councilman Louis C. Jung and Council President William E. Populus, Jr.
Fanwood Factoids • A miniature golf course once occupied the site of the current
A & P food supermarket. • As early as 1882 the Central Railroad of New Jersey built the streets
of Farley Avenue, Hunter Avenue and Russell Road. Home building didn’t begin there until 40 years later in the 1920s.
• There was once a taxi service in Fanwood.
• The first sanitary sewer system was installed in Fanwood in 1927 in cooperation with the City of Plainfield.
• The Maple Tree Inn on the corner of Terrill Road and South Avenue, now the site of the Exxon gasoline station, was once the social and political gathering place for Fanwoodians.
• The bell in the Presbyterian Church tower was once the alarm signal for the Fanwood Fire Company.
An advertisement for the sale of homes, farms and acreage in Fanwood and Scotch Plains on July 12, 1919 by the estate of Warren Ackerman. The auction consisted of about 80 parcels of land and included the area of Feltville, today known as Glenside Park. Reprinted courtesy of the Historical Society of Scotch Plains and Fanwood.
Covering Fanwood, Mountainside, Scotch Plains and Westfield, Union County, New Jersey (NJ)