goleader.com - Union County, NJ Newspapers
Summer 97 Arts Festival Told for Echo Lake Park
Union Countys Summer Arts Festival is in full swing with performances scheduled up until the week before Labor Day. Concerts are held Wednesday evenings.
All concerts are held at the Springfield Avenue end of Echo Lake Park in Westfield and Mountainside. Lawn chairs, blankets and picnic baskets are encouraged. There is a refreshment stand available beginning at 6:30 p.m.
In case of rain, the concerts are held in the Cranford High School Auditorium on West End Place in Cranford. Rain information is available by calling (908) 352-8410 after 3 p.m. on the day of the concert.
The remaining concert schedule is as follows:
· July 23: "Dixieland," featuring the Wooster Street Trolley Jazz Band playing traditional New Orleans favorites and 1920s novelty numbers.
· July 30: "Oldies Night," featuring AJ and the Hearts. Music from the 1950s is the specialty of this band.
· August 6: "Country Western Night," featuring Eagle Creek playing gentle country music.
· August 13: "An Evening of Motown," with the Sensational Soul Singers. Classic Motown, Soul, Rhythm & Blues and Disco from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s are the specialty of this talented 11-member group.
· August 20: "Big Band Night," featuring the Sammy Kaye Orchestra which will include classic, swing and sway hits of the Golden Era of music.
· August 27: The Party Dolls. This group of three women use a variety of costumes and props to present the sights as well as the sounds of the "Girl Groups of the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s."
The Summer Festival is presented by the Union County Board of Chosen Freeholders and the Division of Parks and Recreation. Each of the concerts is supported by local businesses.
All rights reserved
|Send your comments or articles to:
Westfield Leader Email
[ Return to the Front Page ]